Looking for the best credit card to receive Avios points? Check out our Amex referral offer. Note once on the American Express page you can sign up for a number of cards and get referral bonus points. Just select ‘view all cards with a referral offer’ and pick the most appropriate card for your needs.
Avios points are a type of frequent flyer currency that can be earned and redeemed through a number of different loyalty programs. If you’re a frequent traveler or just looking for ways to save money on your next vacation, learning about Avios points can be a useful way to stretch your travel budget further.
First, let’s start by explaining what Avios points are and how they work. Avios points are a type of currency that can be earned through various loyalty programs, including British Airways Executive Club, Aer Lingus AerClub, Iberia Plus and now Qatar Airways. These points can be earned by flying with these airlines, staying at participating hotels, or using a credit card that is part of the Avios program (one of the best is Amex – Check out our Amex referral offer here)
Once you have accumulated enough Avios points, you can redeem them for a variety of travel-related rewards. These rewards include flights on any of the participating airlines, as well as flights on a number of partner airlines. You can also redeem your points for hotel stays, car rentals, and experiences such as wine tastings or cooking classes.
One of the great things about Avios points is that they are quite flexible, which means you have a lot of options when it comes to redeeming them. You can use your points to book a round-trip flight or use them to book one-way flights. You can also mix and match different types of travel, such as using your points to book a flight and then using cash to pay for a hotel stay.
Another advantage of Avios points is that they don’t expire, so you don’t have to worry about losing your hard-earned points. As long as you have any activity in your account at least once every 36 months, your points will remain valid.
So, now that you have a basic understanding of Avios points and how they work, let’s look at some of the ways you can earn them.
- Fly with participating airlines
The most obvious way to earn Avios points is by flying with one of the participating airlines. British Airways, Aer Lingus, and Iberia all offer the ability to earn Avios points on flights, and you can earn even more points by booking flights in premium cabins such as business or first class.
- Stay at participating hotels
In addition to earning points through flights, you can also earn Avios points by staying at participating hotels. There are a number of hotel chains that are part of the Avios program, including InterContinental Hotels, Hilton, and Marriott.
- Use a credit card that earns Avios points
If you’re looking for an easy way to earn Avios points, consider getting a credit card that is part of the Avios program. There are a number of credit cards available that allow you to earn Avios points on your everyday purchases, such as the Amex British Airways or the Barclaycard Avios.
- Transfer points from other loyalty programs
If you have loyalty points in another program, such as American Express Membership Rewards or Chase Ultimate Rewards, you may be able to transfer those points to your Avios account. This can be a great way to top off your Avios balance if you’re just a few points short of a redemption.
How to redeem Avios points
There are a few different strategies that can help you get the most value out of your Avios points. Here are a few options to consider:
- Book short-haul flights
One of the best ways to get good value out of your Avios points is by using them to book short-haul flights. These flights typically require fewer points than long-haul flights, and you can often find great deals on flights within Europe or within the United States.
- Look for off-peak redemptions
Avios points are generally more valuable when you redeem them for flights during off-peak times, as these flights typically require fewer points. Off-peak times vary depending on the route, so be sure to check the Avios website for details on the specific flights you’re interested in.
- Use Avios points to book one-way flights
Another good way to get good value out of your Avios points is by using them to book one-way flights. One-way flights typically require fewer points than round-trip flights, so you can often stretch your points further by booking one-way flights and using cash or a different type of frequent flyer currency to book the return flight.
- Look for promotions and bonuses
Avios points are generally more valuable when you can take advantage of promotions or bonuses. For example, the British Airways Executive Club often offers bonus Avios points for flights booked during certain periods, or for flights booked in premium cabins. Keep an eye out for these promotions and consider booking your flights during these periods to get the most value out of your points.
- Use Avios points to book partner flights
In addition to being able to redeem your points for flights on participating airlines, you can also use your Avios points to book flights on a number of partner airlines. These partner airlines include American Airlines, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas, Qatar Airways among others. This can be a great way to get more value out of your points, especially if you’re unable to find a good redemption on one of the participating airlines.
What are Avios points worth?
It’s difficult to assign a specific value to Avios points, as the value of the points can vary depending on how you redeem them. However, there are a few factors that can impact the value of your Avios points:
- Distance of the flight: Avios points are generally more valuable when you use them to book long-haul flights, as these flights typically require more points.
- Class of service: Flights booked in premium cabins such as business or first class generally require more points than flights booked in economy.
- Time of year: Avios points are generally more valuable when you redeem them for flights during off-peak times, as these flights typically require fewer points.
- Availability: The value of your Avios points can also be impacted by the availability of flights. If there are a limited number of seats available on a particular flight, the points required for that flight may be higher.
As a general rule, Avios points are worth about 1 pence each when used to book flights on participating airlines. However, this value can vary depending on the factors listed above, so it’s always a good idea to do some research and compare the points required for different flights before redeeming your points.
How do I redeem Avios points in the UK for a flight?
Redeeming Avios points for a flight in the UK is relatively simple. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
- Log in to your Avios account: First, visit the Avios website and log in to your account. If you don’t already have an account, you’ll need to create one.
- Search for flights: Once you’re logged in, use the search function on the Avios website to find flights that are available for redemption using your Avios points. You’ll need to enter your departure and arrival airports, as well as your preferred travel dates.
- Compare flights: The Avios website will show you a list of flights that are available for redemption using your points. You can compare the number of points required for each flight, as well as the price of the flight if you were to pay for it in cash.
- Choose a flight: Once you’ve found a flight that meets your needs, select it and click “Continue” to proceed to the booking page.
- Review and confirm your booking: On the booking page, you’ll be able to review the details of your flight, including the flight times, the number of points required, and any applicable fees. If everything looks good, click “Confirm and pay” to complete your booking.
That’s all there is to it! Once you’ve completed your booking, you’ll receive a confirmation email with all of the details of your flight. Be sure to keep this email handy, as you’ll need it to check in for your flight.
How many Avios do I need for a flight?
The number of Avios points required for a flight will depend on a number of factors, including the distance of the flight, the class of service you book, and the time of year you travel.
As a general rule, economy flights will require fewer points than premium flights, and flights during off-peak times will require fewer points than flights during peak times. Additionally, flights on participating airlines will generally require fewer points than flights on partner airlines.
To get a sense of how many Avios points you’ll need for a specific flight, you can use the Avios points calculator on the Avios website. Simply enter your departure and arrival airports, as well as your preferred travel dates, and the calculator will give you an estimate of the number of points required for the flight.
Keep in mind that the number of points required for a flight can vary depending on the availability of seats, so it’s always a good idea to check the Avios website for the most up-to-date point requirements for your desired flight.
Here are a few examples of the number of Avios points required for flights on participating airlines, as well as the total cost of the flight if you were to pay for it in cash:
- London to Paris: 25,000 Avios points (economy) or 50,000 Avios points (business class), plus taxes and fees. Cash price for an economy flight starts at around £60, while a business class flight starts at around £250.
- Manchester to Edinburgh: 10,000 Avios points (economy) or 20,000 Avios points (business class), plus taxes and fees. Cash price for an economy flight starts at around £40, while a business class flight starts at around £150.
- London to New York: 50,000 Avios points (economy) or 100,000 Avios points (business class), plus taxes and fees. Cash price for an economy flight starts at around £400, while a business class flight starts at around £1,500.
Keep in mind that these are just a few examples, and the number of points required for a flight can vary depending on the specific route and the time of year you travel. To get an accurate estimate of the number of points required for your desired flight, you can use the Avios points calculator on the Avios website.
Don’t forget to check out our special American Express rewards referral offer for additional membership points which can be converted to Avios. Check it out here.